First week of the semester is always exciting for me: a new
class, new people and new opportunities to learn new ideas regarding the
business world. I love the idea behind this journal. However, in the past I
haven’t been very diligent with my personal journal writing. The bits that I
have done I do enjoy looking back and seeing where I was in the time of my life
when I wrote the entry.
Over the years, I have taken many excellent courses that
gave me amazing references, ideas and quotes, but I never bothered to write
them down. Looking back, I wish I had so I could reference them. I hope this
journal will be the beginning of a wonderful habit.
This week - Lessons Learned
I watched an incredibly inspirational video from President
Hinckley. He said “… your responsibility [is] to do your very best.” School has
never come easily to me. I struggle constantly and I tend to be tough on
myself. President Hinckley’s reminder to do your very best stood out to me; it
reminded me that I just have to try (and not be lazy). I don’t have to do
everyone’s best – just my own best.
This week my younger sister entered the MTC in Provo, Utah.
I am incredibly proud and happy that she has taken this step in her life. While
reading Elder Bandar’s talk his reference to 1 Corinthians 2:16 popped out at
me. “A disciple of Christ is one who is following and learning to be like
Christ – learning to think, to feel, and to act as He does. He or she is
striving to gain… the mind of Christ.” My sister is off serving the Lord and I
am working towards my degree, but we are both learning to be disciples and are
preparing ourselves for future service to the Lord, to our families, and to our
community.
Lessons Not Yet learned
From the e-Corner video, “Doing what you love – the money
will come later,” I was reminded that patience has never been one of my best
qualities. I need to see results right away. Yet I know life isn’t like that. I have historically been
quick to give up on ideas if they didn’t seem lucrative. In fact, that’s why
I’m in this program. I started out in Interior Design, but quickly realized
that the future and earning potential in that field were going to be limited
except for an extremely competitive few who would have to fight for the few
entry level positions in the field that actually paid enough to make it all
worthwhile.
No comments:
Post a Comment